Due to COVID-19 restrictions, many Salvation Army locations are operating differently to normal. Please contact us before visiting to ensure this service is open and able to assist you.
Melbourne Counselling Service, as part of the Salvation Army Moneycare network, provides free generalist financial counselling for anyone experiencing financial difficulties.
Salvation Army financial counsellors understand that money problems can happen to anyone. Our financial counsellors will listen and offer confidential, non-judgemental support and information.
How can a financial counsellor help me?
All Melbourne Counselling Service financial counsellors are professionally trained and members of the Financial and Consumer Rights Council (FCRC).
They are able to help by:
- assessing your financial situation
- exploring and discussing your options
- advocating and negotiating with creditors, government agencies and others on your behalf
- obtaining information on legal processes such as debt collection and bankruptcy
- providing referrals to other appropriate services such as emergency relief, housing services or counselling
What kind of issues can a financial counsellor help me with?
- Budgeting issues – if you’re unable to pay bills on time
- Trouble with creditors – to assist in avoiding increasing debt from loans and credit cards
- Repossessions or evictions
- Unfair lending practices
- Court issues and fines
- Centrelink issues
- Dispute with a utility company
What should I bring to an appointment with a financial counsellor?
To allow an MCS financial counsellor to establish a full picture of your finances, you need to bring the following information to your first appointment:
- details of income (such as payslips or Centrelink statements)
- current bank statements
- a list of all your debts
- copies of (or information about) all your loan agreements
- details of current and outstanding bills
- copies of (or information about) any court documents you have received
- letters about debts and bills that seem urgent
What MCS financial counsellors are unable to assist with
Unfortunately the MCS financial counselling program does not provide certain services. We are unable to help you with:
- organising debt consolidations
- providing investment or taxation advice
- providing emergency relief, money or accommodation
I’m ready to speak to a financial counsellor, what should I do now?
Please go to our Contact Us page for details on how to contact MCS financial counsellors.