Gambler’s Help Financial Counselling

Gambler’s Help Financial Counselling is a specialist service available to anyone who is experiencing financial difficulties related to gambling.


The gambler or person affected by another’s gambling behaviour may choose to see a Gambler’s Help financial counsellor with or without seeing a therapeutic counsellor. However, as Melbourne Counselling Service offers an integrated, holistic response to problem gambling, it is recommended that both a financial counsellor and therapeutic counsellor are engaged to address the underlying issues of the gambling behaviour as well as the financial consequences.


How can financial counsellors help?

All Melbourne Counselling Service Gambler’s Help financial counsellors are professionally trained and members of the Financial and Consumer Rights Council (FCRC).


They are able to help by:

  • assessing your financial situation
  • exploring and discussing your options
  • advocating and negotiating with creditors, government agencies and others on your behalf
  • obtaining information on legal processes such as debt collection and bankruptcy
  • providing practical information to help you protect your assets and better manage your money
  • providing referrals to other appropriate services such as emergency relief, housing services or counselling


What should I bring to an appointment with a financial counsellor?

To allow an Gambler’s Help financial counsellor to establish a full picture of your finances, you need to bring the following information to your first appointment:

  • details of income (such as payslips or Centrelink statements)
  • current bank statements
  • a list of all your debts
  • copies of (or information about) all your loan agreements
  • details of current and outstanding bills
  • copies of (or information about) any court documents you have received
  • letters about debts and bills that seem urgent


I’m ready to speak to someone about the financial impacts of gambling. What do I do now?

Call our office on 03 9653 3250 and ask for the Gambler’s Help intake worker. Our intake worker will complete a phone assessment and outline the process for allocating you a counsellor. If necessary, we can offer you referral options to other services that better suit your needs.

Gambler’s Help City and Inner North covers the local government areas of the Cities of Melbourne, Yarra, Moreland and Moonee Valley. If you live outside of these locations but our office is most convenient for you, you are still able to use our service.

Clients are able to refer themselves or be referred by another community or health service.